Coleman Sevylor Tahiti Classic Kayak Review
How We Test Our Products
Products are tested by our team of experts with years of personal experience.
Why Should You Trust Us
We do not simply trust a brands word, we put the products to the test!
Our Editorial Process
Unbiased reviews and in-depth research go into each and every review to ensure the best product for everyone.
Often times, the traditional kayaks can prove to be too costly or not be easy to transport for an amateur kayaker to buy. If that was you, then we’ve got the perfect choice for all your kayaking needs. This Sevylor Tahiti Classic could be the answer to your needs. It is a great entry-level kayak with an inexpensive price and a great list of features. It is also great if you don’t have a ton of space or a smaller vehicle, which can make it harder to transport traditional kayaks.
The Tahiti Classic is also great for families who regularly taking camping excursions around lakes. This tandem makes it easier for families to kayak in pairs. You are sure to spend hours of fun on this tandem. And when it’s all done, you can simply just deflate it and pack it away.
Read on to find out more about the Sevylor Tahiti Classic. We have included its specifications and features as well as consumer reviews to help you decide whether it is the right one for you. Also featured on our Top 10 reviews https://www.humbersport.com/best-inflatable-kayaks/
Quick Answers: Coleman Sevylor Tahiti Classic Review
- Dimensions (Inflated): 10 feet 4 inches x 2 feet 9 inches
- Weight (Inflated): 30 lbs.
- Weight (Deflated): ∼25 lbs.
- Weight Capacity: 360 lbs.
- Construction: 21-gauge PVC
- Design: Self-Bailing
- Air Chambers: Multiple Air Chambers
- Warranty: 90-Day Warranty
- The rugged PVC construction makes it ideal for lake use
- The Multiple air chambers ensure that it will remain inflated, even if one chamber gets punctured.
- The Airtight® System guarantees there won’t be any leaks.
- Double Lock and Mini Double Lock valves have two locking points for an easier inflation and deflation process.
- The back seat rests let you relax further.
- It features spray covers to block any splashes to keep you relatively dry.
- Easy to transport out and into the water with the carrying handles on either side.
- It can fit two people.
- It comes with a carrying bag.
The Tahiti Classic canoe is great for lake use. However, you should always keep an eye out for sharp rocks and branches and avoid them. Though this is a great blow up canoe, it is not one of the sturdiest and most durable options out in the market. The price point, however, makes it a great steal for newbies.
If you know what you are doing, it can also be used on rivers up to smaller Class VI rapids. Again, you should keep an eye out for branches and smaller, sharp rocks. Though this inflatable kayak might not perform as well as a hard shell one, the portability and functionality of this model are great. For more experienced kayakers, a Tahiti Skeg can be attached for a faster speed on the water. However, you should avoid using the Skeg if there are rocks and boulders visible, on the rapids, or if the flows are low.
Pros and Cons
Just like any product, the Tahiti Classic has its advantages and disadvantages. Below, we have compiled a list of pros and cons to help inform your decision.
- The affordable price makes it one of the cheapest on the market.
- Spacious enough for two people
- The rigid build makes it a solid choice for lake usage
- Bright colored, which helps visibility if kayaking in a larger group
- Great hand pump valve with multiple fittings available
- Made of durable PVC material
- Plenty of reserved air with the side, deck, and floor valves.
- Seats are not ideal, as they are also inflatable and can easily float away if you accidentally flip on a river
- The absence of a keel means that the boat tracks poorly.
- It’s vital to be in sync with your partner, otherwise, you might keep hitting each other’s paddles.
- There is a lack of additional accessories, such as pump, skeg, and paddles.
- Some users reported issues with their valve systems.
Quality and Build
The Tahiti Classic being one of Sevylor’s original designs have been popular among kayakers since its first release. It is self-bailing, which means that it can handle calmer waters and nothing too extreme. Though the price may be considered low in comparison to other inflatables, it still is able to handle itself while wading through the water. Though the quality is decent, it cannot be expected to last for decades. However, even though it might not be durable for the long-run, it can still give you hours of paddling fun with each excursion you take.
The design of the Tahiti Classic ensures that there is a comfortable amount of space for both kayakers. There are also small storage compartments in the front and back of the kayak for you to store your essentials. The design is quite basic, which the performance and construction reflecting that. So, if you are an experienced kayaker, this won’t be the best option for you.
The Tahiti Classic is great for families with children that are old enough to know how to operate safely. The features are basic enough to make it easy for newbies to understand, without comprising the kayakers safety at any point. It is fun to paddle around it and can carry a decent load. The price and the functionality definitely make this product a must-have for all beginner kayakers.
Other Tahiti Classic Canoe Owner Reviews
Other owners praise this product for everything that it offers at the price point that it is at. It is easy to inflate and deflate without causing too many delays while you wait for it to fully inflate. Many stated that it only took them somewhere around fifteen minutes to fully inflate it before they could get into the water. It comes with a large carrying bag, which allows you to fit in the skeg, air pumps, and two life vests without any issue. It also deflates and folds up easily, which makes for easy and quick cleanup in comparison to traditional kayaks. It’s a great tandem kayak that allows you to float on a lake with a child or adult. Others claimed that though this was incomparable to the speed of ocean kayaks, it is great for lazing around on a lake or take a small paddle around a calm lake.