Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviewed In 2023
How We Test Our Products
Products are tested by our team of experts with years of personal experience.
Why Should You Trust Us
We do not simply trust a brands word, we put the products to the test!
Our Editorial Process
Unbiased reviews and in-depth research go into each and every review to ensure the best product for everyone.
Whether you are out in the water catching fish or having a little date with your crush, enjoying your time in the water is a fantastic feeling. To have a good time fishing or to have some me-time in your boat, you need the best trolling motor battery.
It does not matter whether you are a dedicated angler or a casual fisher; you need to have the best trolling battery. What works for a particular boat might not work for the other, and that’s why you need to understand the vessel or the kayak you are working with as well as the purpose of your water vessel.
Best Trolling Motor Battery
- 1. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop
- 2. VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Trolling Motor Battery
- 3. Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Trolling Motor Battery
- 4. Interstate DCM0035 Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) Deep Cycle Battery
- 5. Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor AGM SLA Battery
- Battery Amp Hours (Ah)
Trolling motors require batteries that can discharge electricity over a long periods gradually. These batteries are a mix of dual-purpose batteries that can be used both for starting the boat or the kayak and the specialized deep cycle batteries.
Top Trolling Motor Batteries: At A Glance
|Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop||12V||55 AH||43 lbs||AGM|
|VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM||12V||100 AH||67 lbs||AGM|
|Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH||12V||100 AH||63 lbs||AMG|
|Interstate DCM0035 Sealed Lead Acid (AGM)||12V||35 AH||23 lbs||AGM|
|Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor AGM||12V||35 AH||23 lbs||AGM|
Dual Purpose Batteries vs Deep Cycle Batteries
Trolling motors need a steady and consistent source of electrical power, and that’s why you need to use either a deep cycle or a dual purpose battery. These two batteries have been designed to gradually discharge a considerable percentage of their power capacity for a long period of time. The dual purpose and the deep cycle batteries are different from a starting battery which has been designed to discharge a large amount of power at once to start the engine. This is why you can use a dual-purpose battery to power your boat the whole time you’ll be on the water.
Dual purpose batteries have been designed to crank up engines and still provide a consistent source of power for 12v electrical devices like trolling motors. If you want only one battery for your boat, then a dual purpose battery is your best bet.
As the name suggests, a dual-purpose battery serves a dual purpose, and this is both starting the boat and keeping it in motion when deep cycling.
Deep cycle batteries have been designed to specifically discharge large amounts of power over a long, gradual period of time. Deep cycle batteries last longer as compared to dual-purpose batteries when they are being used with trolling motors.
If you want an all-round battery that can be used for starting your inboard or outboard motor and still power your motor, then the dual purpose battery is your best bet. If you need one specifically for your trolling motor, then your best bet is the deep cycle battery.
Trolling Motor Battery Reviews
They look like any other, and they tend to do the same work; however, some batteries are better than others when it comes to their performance as well as other factors. You have a lot of options, but you are on the lookout for the best. Here are some of the best;
1. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop
Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop battery that can be used for starting the boat as well as deep cycling. It has a 120-minute reserve capacity and a 750 CCA which makes it a reliable battery. It offers good performance as well as a large capacity for practicality.
It’s rated at 750 CCA, which makes it a good battery for starting boats, RVs, and other mechanical equipment.
It has a 120-minute reserve capacity that gives it a sufficient reserve storage for use in a trolling motor.
It has been designed to do well in cold weather and other stressful situations; its exterior can withstand 15 times vibrations compared to similar batteries made by other brands.
The 8016-103 D34M BlueTop is a lightweight battery in compact and fairly light; its design makes it easy for you when mounting it on a boat or RV.
It comes with a two-year warranty which means you can return it for free replacement in case it develops issues that hamper its performance within the first 2 years of buying it.
- The 8016-103 D34M BlueTop battery is a dual battery that can be used for starting the boat as well as for deep cycling. It is one of the best deep cycles for a trolling motor.
- Its vibration resistance design prevents the battery from getting damaged from engine vibrations.
- It is light and easy to carry; it can be mounted on the boat with ease.
- The 8016-103 D34M BlueTop dual purpose battery uses AGM(absorbent glass mat) technology which can easily damage as a result of overcharging. This is, however, a minor risk that only happens when the battery is charged incorrectly.
The 8016-103 D34M BlueTop is a great dual-purpose battery. It has a sleek design, and it’s competitively priced, which gives you value for your money.
2. VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Trolling Motor Battery
The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery is great and reliable that’s specifically designed for deep cycle use only. It delivers performance consistently, charges quickly and it is resistant to vibrations, and this is all thanks to the thick plastic outer cover.
The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery has been built with a thick and durable plastic exterior that is resistant to damage from knocks, vibrations and other sources of wear and tear..
It can mount inside any Group 27 battery boxes which makes it easier to mount on your boat.
It is rated at 100Ah to deliver consistent performance for trolling motors because they require an uninterrupted source of power.
The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery is manufactured using the absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology which reduces maintenance as well as helping in fast charging.
It has a 30-day money back guarantee and replacement coverage for 1 month from VMAX Marine. If a battery is defective within the one year of purchase date, you can get it replaced without charges
- The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah battery AGM delivers great performance when deep cycling, making it one of the best batteries for trolling.
- It charges quickly and with a speed that’s double what the other batteries charge with. The charging speed is largely because of the AGM electrolyte system that improves it’s performance.
- The AGM system helps to reduce its care and maintenance needs; the battery does not need any maintenance not even water filling or any other filling for it to function.
- Due to its thick plastic outer cover, the VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM is durable; it is able to resist vibrations meaning it can be used in your boat for years.
- Since it is not one of the lightest trolling motor batteries, it comes with a pair of plastic handles that makes it easier to carry it around
- The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery weighs up to 70 pounds, which makes it hard to mount inside the boat.
- It also happens to be a little expensive as compared to other brands
The VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery is one of the best marine battery for trolling; it charges quickly, and it performs relatively well. Its exterior is durable, and it resists vibrations as well as other damage sources.
There is no doubt that the VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM battery is one of the best deep cycle batteries for trolling motors.
3. Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Trolling Motor Battery
As the name suggests, the Universal UB121000-45978 is a deep cycle battery that’s been designed to power trolling motors as well as other electrical devices. This battery has been rated 100Ah which makes it an excellent battery for both your boat and as an electrical storage battery for your home uses.
It’s specifically designed for deep cycling with a rating of 100Ah rating. It is not a starter battery, and it should not be used for starting motors, mechanical or other machines that need motor starting.
It is a 100% maintenance free; you don’t need to refill water as it happens when you are using a lead-acid battery
It is manufactured and designed using AGM technology which makes it fast charging with improved performance.
It discharges less than 3% of its capacity each month which makes it an efficient battery for storing energy
Comes with a 1-year warranty guarantee against defects within 12 months after the purchase date
- Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle trolling battery is highly efficient as it stores energy while only losing 3% of its energy capacity in a month. Other than with trolling, it also comes in handy for solar energy systems.
- It uses AGM technology, which improves its performance and reduces the amount of maintenance needed. You don’t even need to refill it with water to maintain it
- As a trolling motor battery, this is a good performer; having been rated at 100Ah, it delivers enough power to efficiently run a mid or a small-sized motor. To reach full charge, it needs to be charged between 10 to 12 hours.
- Universal UB121000-45978 is a deep cycle battery; it cannot be used for starting outboard motors, cars or any other mechanical equipment. You will need another battery for starting your boat or any other machine
This is a good quality deep cycle battery, and it is ideal for trolling motor use or as energy storage for a home solar system use. It is fairly priced for its build quality and feature set; you get value for your money.
4. Interstate DCM0035 Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) Deep Cycle Battery
Interstate DCM0035 Sealed Lead Acid (AGM), Deep Cycle Battery, is a compact deep cycle battery that’s good for using in small trolling motors. It’s a 35Ah battery, but it delivers alright. This battery also requires no maintenance, and it is all thanks to the AGM technology.
It is compact and one of the lightest trolling motor battery weighing a mere 23 pounds while measuring 7.7 inches in length; it is one of the smallest trolling batteries in the market.
It is an AGM battery that means it requires literally no maintenance; It charges quickly, making it convenient when you need a ready to use battery and one that you can often use.
Interstate DCM0035 being a low weight battery with small dimension, it is easy to mount it on your boat in any position or any dimension or angle.
It comes in a thick and durable plastic exterior which helps in protecting it from damages like bumps and vibrations that might affect its performance and the performance of other batteries.
It comes with a small handle that helps in moving it from one place to another.
- Interstate DCM0035 battery is one of the smallest deep cycle trolling batteries, making it a great purchase, especially if you have a small trolling boat or kayak.
- At 23 pounds, this battery is very portable, and it is easy to move it from and to the boat
- It performs very well in spite of its size. It has been rated at 35Ah, and it gives consistent and good power that keeps the trolling motors running for up to 2 hours without any issues. Interstate DCM0035 can handle bumps and any other bruises on a regular basis, but it is advisable not to be careless with it.
- Being made with an AGM technology, it is leak proof, and it can be safely mounted at any angle on your boat. It charges quickly, but make sure you don’t overcharge it.
- It doesn’t wear and tear fast
- The Interstate DCM0035 comes with 45-days money back guarantee with a 1-year warranty coverage. If the battery develops defects within 12 months from the date of purchase, there’s a replacement at no fee.
- The biggest strength of this battery also happens to be its biggest weakness; its size. Interstate DCM0035 might be perfect for people with a small boat, but it is not a good choice for people who like a lot of deep cycling.
The Interstate DCM0035 battery is an excellent trolling motor battery that takes little space on your boat; it weighs way less, and it still performs well. If you are looking for a small but efficient battery for your trolling motor, then this is your best bet. Interstate DCM0035 is an excellent battery that costs way less.
5. Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor AGM SLA Battery
Wilderness Tarpon 100 battery is one of the best kayak trolling motor battery. It’s a 12v 35Ah battery with a little size and great power. This can run a 55lb kayak carrying 4 people for about 45-50 minutes without the charge running out.
This battery is smaller than other marine trolling batteries with its dimensions being 7.7 * 6.5 inches; it weighs a mere 23 lbs. This can fit in any compartment of your boat, but if your boat doesn’t have any, then you should get some.
It is made using AGM technology which means it’ll help you extract the optimum performance of your battery.
It is a genuine AGM battery suitable for the electrical motor
You can use it as an alarm, scooter or a wheelchair battery
The valve regulates it
It is spill proof which means you can work with it in any position
- Other than being used with a trolling boat, it can also be used for security purposes, with access control devices, starter engines, in gardening tools like lawn mowing as well as vehicles running on an electrical motor like a golf cart.
- It is light in weight which means it is easy to move to and from the boat
- It charges quickly which means it is almost ready to use
- The AGM technology means the battery requires no maintenance; you can use it for quite a long time without needing to replace it.
- It is almost wear and tear-proof
- Being that Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor battery is a small battery, it cannot be used for long deep cycles.
- You also cannot use it for long periods of time since the battery can only be used for less than 1 hour.
How To Choose The Best Trolling Motor Battery – Buying Guide
You need to consider a few things before you pick a good trolling motor battery. Some of the things you need to consider are;
Battery Amp Hours (Ah)
Deep cycle batteries get rated in ampere-hours (Ah), a unit that measures the total amount of charge in a battery that allows one ampere of current to discharge for 1 hour period. This is to say the number of amp hours a battery is rate shows how much electricity the battery can store. Ampere-hour is one of the most important features you should look for when buying a deep cycle battery since it determines the number of hours a battery can power a trolling boat.
For dual-purpose batteries, this unit of measurement is not always available, making it difficult to calculate the amount of time it can run a trolling vessel. All in all, small trolling motor batteries should have between 25 and 50 Ah while a larger deep cycle battery for trolling should go up to 100Ah.
However, there is no perfect amount of ampere-hours that a trolling motor battery should have but the higher the Ah, the better for you because you’ll have longer hours in the waters.
The Power System
Most of these deep cycle batteries are in 12v which means you might need several to power a 24v trolling motors. Therefore, before you get any battery or batteries, it is essential to know your motor power system as well as it demands. Most boats are built with 12 volts system, but occasionally, if it’s a larger boat, it needs either 24volts or 36volts to power it.
It is imperative to look at the weight of your batter although it is not as important unless it slows you down when on the waters. Most of the best trolling motor batteries weigh between 20 to 50 pounds; the lower the weight of the battery, the better it is. The weight of the battery depends on your weight capacity which means if your boat has like 500lbs free, you can definitely go for a 50lb trolling motor battery. Most people who use kayaks prefer to go with a trolling battery that weighs less than 30lbs.
Cold cranking amps (CCA)
Cold cranking amps or CCA as it is commonly known is the number of amps releases in the first 30 seconds of powering at 0°F. CCA is only important for starting batteries where large amounts of power need to be released for a short amount of time. The reserve capacity the length of time a battery can release electricity usually under 25 amps before it needs to be recharged.
The CCA unit is only useful when you are looking for a dual purpose trolling battery since the battery has two functions; starter motor and keeping it running during your fishing expeditions.
The cycle life
The lifespan of your battery is known as a cycle life. It is however not common to see companies advertising the cycle life of their batteries. Most trolling motor batteries cycle life is between 2-4 years. Since most companies don’t declare their batteries’ cycle life, your best bet is reading the product reviews; most customers give honest opinions so, you’ll get an idea on the cycle life of a particular brand.
|Trolling Motor Thurst (lbs)||Amps Drawn at Various Speeds||Approximate Run Times with 35AH (In Hours)||Approximate Run Times with 50AH (In Hours)||Approximate Run Times with 100AH (In Hours)|
|Max Speed||Med Speed||Min Speed||Max Speed||Med Speed||Min Speed||Max Speed||Med Speed||Min Speed||Max Speed||Med Speed||Min Speed|
|40 - 70||40||20||5||0.9||1.17||7||1.25||2.5||10||2.5||5||20|
|80 - 100||50||25||5||0.7||1.4||7||1||2||10||2||4||20|
Types of batteries
There are many trolling motor batteries in the market, and it can be quite confusing when choosing the one that fulfils your angling needs. Just because they are all batteries doesn’t mean they function the same way. Using low quality batteries can lower your trolling motor’s efficiency. If you are looking to have a smooth time in the waters, then you should do your research thoroughly;
Wet or flooded lead acid (FLA)
These are classified into three classifications. The first classification is the wet lead acid batteries commonly known as the flooded trolling batteries. They have a simple design, but they can live up to two years. They are manufactured easily and cheaply which also means they are easy to buy.
Less wet lead acid batteries are being produced to power trolling motor batteries; you should only buy these flooded trolling batteries only if you understand how to use and maintain them.
Absorbed glass mats (AGM)
This is the second classification of trolling motor batteries, and they are considered more high end. These batteries have been made to provide constant charge for a longer time. Amazingly, AGM batteries last longer per every use and they last longer as compared to the other trolling motor batteries. Their lifespan is twice as long as the wet cell batteries. Because of this longer lifespan, they tend to be more expensive compared to other batteries.
Off late, the absorbed glass mats are moving out, they are more common, and the prices are evening out. The absorbed glass mats are most recommended for average anglers because they are more efficient than wet lead acid batteries and are also easy to take care of. The only downside to them is that they are a little pricier.
Gel batteries just like the name suggests are filled with a fluid that looks like gel. The fluid is what powers the battery, and it also protects it. Gel batteries tend to be a little resistant to vibrations as well as discharging when the battery is idle. However, these batteries are not common in the stores, but with a little research, you can find quite a number of them.
Gel batteries are not so common, which means the market is not as huge; few of them have been made for trolling motors. The AGM batteries are the most common.
In conclusion, the best trolling motor batteries are an important part of your kayak or a fishing boat. Never overlook these batteries because they can be a matter of life and death when you are out there in the waters. A trolling motor battery is what determines whether you will go back to the dry land in one piece or not; therefore, research extensively and make a sound decision before you buy one.